Thursday 20 December 2012

Of the end of the world

Midnight is marching closer and closer, my darling! The time is coming!
Among the silent fear of my brothers, while they kneel down in quiet prayers, I held my head up high and took a deep breath.

This is all rubbish! This is all foolishness!, a frightened, weak man shouts, standing up on a prententious bravery that is not his own, on an empty hope that his words could change the impending fate.

I stared at him in silence. There is not a comma I could add to contradict him. There is, however, not a single word I can cry to confirm his theory.

In oblivion, while looking out the landscape of infinite green fields, on a vision slightly spoiled by the nonstopping rain, I sit and wonder.

Should the world end tomorrow, I will know I have struggled.
The end of the rainbow always stood distant, but never too distant for me to give in.
In the very tip of it, the golden pot.
Over it, way up high, the land we have heard of once in a lullaby.
Should the world end tomorrow, I will be thrilled to finally have a chance to take a peek at it.

Should the world end tomorrow, I will be so very glad that I held the right hands, in the right time.
And I will be so deeply thankful I took this walk beside that person, for as long as it has lasted.
Had it been a day, a month or, even, our entire lives.
Should the world end tomorrow, I will only pity I no longer remember the last time I saw the flame in their eyes.

Should the world end tomorrow, I will know I have hyperventillated in panic and have met the darkest pits my mind ever allowed - or even forced - me to quest into.
The tears and the despair are marked in my skin forever.
Should the end world tomorrow, I will be glad it all finally came to an end.

Should the end world tomorrow, it is my deepest sorrow that I have never discovered some of the answers.
That I have never seen beyond or too far.
That I have never understood it completely.
That I have never gone deeper, to whatever direction.
Should the end world tomorrow, it is commas I leave, not final marks, for the journey will not be finished.

Still. None of this matters while the world is crumbling.
We are leaving.

Should the end world tomorrow, I will smile in gratefulness.
Should the end world tomorrow, I will be happy I have lived.

No comments: