Monday 23 January 2012

Second touch: rainy summer


As the summer felt, the long sunny weeks were finally starting to take place. The heat was climbing to its agonising peak, as we peeled out our clothes and worked hard to look glamorous despite being rapidly melting down.

The weather was repeating itself.
So was I.

In a rush, as always. The road was being crossed once again, a bit less smoothly than before.
The night looked darker outside.
Heartbreaks were over. Peace was too far to be seen.

A few days earlier. A glossy white room.

The clock was ticking slowly.
She was flicking through a house decoration magazine, not paying the slightest attention to the daringly elegant tobacco-coloured kitchen depicted on the page she was staring at. The wait was unbearable.
After the approaching sound of high stilettos, a mid-aged woman dressed on a high-couture white garment came out and smiled. She immediately got up and went through the corridors, feeling a bit of relief.

Meanwhile, I was taking the first sight of the glimmering lights that came out of those crystal chandeliers gravitating above me.
A foxy lady beside me welcomed me back. Also sporting a glamorous white outfit, notably a very short skirt that exposed the full glory of her toned legs, and a strong colourful makeup, this lady reminded me loosely of some luxurious courtesan of a past adventure, and did not leave my side until she rushed into the room.

Are you ok?, I asked
Yes, yes…, she replied, smiling with effort.

Just so it happens that he was a bit too exhausted of the events on his surroundings and maybe decided for the best to reload the existence within him for a while and take a little break. It is all over now, an elegantly dressed gentleman explained.
Indeed, sir, I said, while taking off whatever prop had been pinched in my wrist.

It was the eve of the year-end festivities.
I was repeating myself.

Back to point we left, the airports looked a little less crowded that morning and the cities a little warmer. Monsters look less horrific and harmful at second glance, I believe.

Welcome to… Greeted the flight attendant, as my heart pumped hard.
Here I am again.

Both southern metropolis felt somewhat quiet and down-headed, as if they were, somehow, feeling sort of guilty for me being unfortunate.
All the wide crowded boulevards, the complexly arranged streets and the high rises of the city where I had just landed, they all looked remarkably familiar for once.
I felt safe as I strolled around, regardless that insisting little pain down inside.

The precise corner was reached.
In there, in the arms of the angels I lied.

It was Christmas time.
The city was beautifully decorated for the occasion. Pine trees, chestnut leaves, garlands and glowing arches would ornate the pedestrian zone, in which a parade would take place every evening.
As the street was illuminated in a sudden wave of light, I was taken over by full-body goose bumps. Watching the parade, my eyes felt caressed by the gentle beauty of the artistry.

Partying. Night-walking. Feeling the heat hidden amongst the uncanny coldness of the city-with-no-summer while driving around the now slightly well known avenues, both alone and in the very best of companies.

It was raining outside. Summer rain, refreshing up my feelings. Making me feel, in some slight way, a bit cleaner inside.

More canine nights took place. Calmer, quieter and far less shaking than those of before. Perhaps, a sign that while my quest is far from over, the path to be followed has not yet been found.

A night that was reproduced twice.
So distant from the original shape.

A second time, a second touch.
Never as good as the first time, as they say.

But those deep eyes. Yes, dear reader, the genuine pair. They crossed mine once again.
A destiny-defining moment. The reflex of my imagined scenarios. Victory, in some extent.
It brought me memories of a colourful age, amidst unspoken words and a complete lack of understanding from my part.

It lasted a second, a while, a century – cannot clearly remember.
It is very clear, though, that nothing will ever be the same. None of these lights will ever shine as bright as before and none of the sparkles will ever burst out from us again.
Meanwhile, I keep pushing up the hill, only to find that I will never grow up by simply stepping in the same land of old-lived dreams. 

It was still raining outside.
I was still repeating myself.

A very short stay in the city has that been, though, for there was no time to lose and the longest road lied ahead… As did the longest avenue, astounding me – and providing me with a casual meeting with a friend I had not seen for a long time.

As usual, the financial centre featured the best of the moodiness, the haste and the overcrowd of the southern Wall Street.
I, however, soon departed from that chaotic environment.

The sunny shore was waiting.
The people were waiting.

More adventures were to follow.

No comments: